- Representatives of European cultural and intellectual life talk about Europe, its aims, chances and risks; supplemented by outside views.
- The main target group are leading representatives of the European Union (the presidents and members of the Council and the Commission, the Presidium of the European Parliament and the chairs of the parliamentary groups).
- Brief "pleadings" concerning the questions and visions raised are discussed within a small circle of top-ranking European politicians and business leaders.
- Questions relating to Europe are publicly addressed in a continuous discourse. European policy receives conceptual impulses from the non-political sphere.
- The high-ranking event promises to create a special kind of "European public forum". The European public is able to monitor the importance politics attach to these fundamental issues in practice.
- The presidents of the European Parliament and the Commission, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Körber-Foundation will host and attend the events.
- A small group of personally invited committed participants; leading representatives of European political and social life and two or three representatives of the younger generation (EUSTORY, People Network) of Europe.
- Auditorium: 80-90 invited guests and press.
- Media public, Europe-wide distribution; documentation by the Commission (Internet, DVD, print).
- Frequency: two or three times a year, until 2008.
- Venue and co-host: the European Economic and Social Committee, Brussels.
Unter the Patronage of:
- European Parliament
- European Commission
In Cooperation with:
Host of the event:
- European Economic and Social Committee
- Phoenix (is broadcasting the Discourses)
- ARTE (live-streaming)
Der INITIAL SESSION of the series Discourses on Europe took place on 29 January 2007.
DANIEL BARENBOIM spoke on the topic
"The Power of Music: Europe's commitment in the Middle East and in the world"
President of the European Parliament Hans-Gert Pöttering opened the session, the President of the European Commission José Manuel Barroso introduced the subsequent discussion. Further participants were EUSTORY-representative Anna Michalkova, Jo Leinen MEP and the President of the Bulgarian Parliament Georgi Pirinski.
Presentation: Thomas Roth (ARD).
- You can find the live recording of the Discourse on Europe with Daniel Barenboim on the website of ARTE.
The second DISCOURSE ON EUROPE took place on 11 June 2007.
WIM WENDERS spoke on the topic
"The Image of Europe. Identification and Representation"
President of the European Parliament Hans-Gert Pöttering opened the session, the President of the European Commission José Manuel Barroso introduced the subsequent discussion. Further participants were Commissioner Meglena Kuneva and Petra Novotna from EUSTORY.
Presentation: Michael Zeeman.
On 19 November 2007, the third DISCOURSE ON EUROPE took place.
Prof. NILÜFER GÖLE (Paris) spoke on the topic
"The Secular Modernity - How the confrontation with Islam prompts Europe to reflect on itself"
Commission President José Manuel Barroso introduced the subsequent discussion. Further participants were Dutch publicist Paul Scheffer, EU Commissioner Meglena Kuneva and Ben Schofield from EUSTORY.
Presentation: Michael Zeeman
- You can find the live recording of the Discourse on Europe with Nilüfer Göle on the website of ARTE.